Friday, May 8, 2009

A Chance to Reminisce - Bahamas Part 2


We arrived in West Palm Beach, Florida that night and headed straight to the Yard House for drinks, dinner and a little catching up. The following morning, Thursday, we left port for the Bahamas. The marine forecast was a little dicey with reported winds SSE 10-15 seas 4 ft at 6 sec. dropping off as we get closer to the Bahamas. Well wouldn’t you know it - the reports were a off. Winds 15-23 knots seas 5-6-with some 7 ft mixed in. Capt John managed a conformable ride around 18-20 knots for the first 40 miles after that we got some relief. As we approached the West End we decided to catch some dinner. So we anchored up and caught some fairly good size yellowtail. After we cleared customs we cleaned the boat and settled in and Capt John prepared dinner Yellowtail, Lobster and Asparagus. I prepared the sushi. All setting up for a great evening of stories and laughs.

The next morning we awoke and headed out of port toward Port Lucaya. Along the way we stop quickly to bottom fish with not much success for dinner, all the fish we caught were too small or not good fair. After pulling into port we cleaned up the boat and headed into town. The night was full of great times a meeting new people.

The following morning my two friends needed a break from the water and wanted to chill on the beach. So off they went while Capt John, First Mate Paul and I went fishing. This was w little disappointing for me because my vision was to have Steve catch the biggest fish he ever caught for his birthday and capture that moment with a picture, but it wasn’t about me after all this was his day. We ran out about 20 miles and started to troll, picked up some Dolphin and then proceeded back to port early so I could get back to my friends. After happy hour we cooked up fresh Maui and conch cakes accompanied with sushi. That night we celebrated my friends 50th with all the local festivities. We met many interesting people and told great stories that made the night a memorable event, as you can see I also got my picture to somewhat complete my memory of the day.

As I captained the Lizanne back to port on Sunday my high school friends of over 35 years accompanied me on the bridge. At that time Capt John And First mate Paul took a well deserved nap in the salon. During the 75-mile trip home we listened to the best of the 60's & 70's music and reminisced of the trips events. During the periods of silence I looked at each of them Jamming to good tunes with just the open sea around us and thought, it just doesn’t get any better that this. I have been fortunate over the years to in many ways but to have life long friends is priceless…”

Tight Lines Capt. Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment